Thursday, December 20, 2007

Laser Wall Art!



Ok.

I am going to show you how to make some really neat looking laser wall art using just a laser and a digital camera. I figured this out at home one night bored after buying my Wicked Lasers Core 5mW green laser.

You will need,

1- Laser (any color)
1- Digital Camera ( with night mode or adjustable shutter speed )

Ok the first thing you need to do is turn on your digital camera and put it in night mode. If you cant do that then maybe you can adjust the shutter speed somehow. The idea is to have the shutter stay open as long as it can so it takes in the most light possible.

But lets say your camera is in night mode and ready to go. You are not going to be able to hold your camera so if you have a tripod go ahead and get that set up or find a surface where the camera wont be shaken.

So take a picture and listen for the shutter. You should be able to hear when it is doing its thing. use that to know how long you can draw on your wall with your laser.

Take a picture and try drawing your name with you laser. Once you are done take a look on your camera and see how it turned out. You should now have apicture of your name in laser light on your wall.

If you are really good then you can draw more complicated things. Try getting a little closer to the wall but stay out of the cameras view. This helps you draw a little more steadily.

Have a look at some of the things I was able to come up with.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your post. I've tried writing with lasers but have not had much luck in the past. I generally just end up waving the light around and taking a photo of the result. Check it out. http://www.anotherlasercompany.com/2007/12/17/light-graffiti/

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Brian.
I was starting to think no one has found my blog yet.

I like the laser art you have on your site. some of them are just completely covered.I don't have control over how long the shutter stays open on my camera so I have never gotten results like that before.

It is much easier to draw if you are a lot closer to the surface or wall you intend to draw on.

The best one I've gotten was taking a glass candle holder and shining the laser into it to make it light up and then waving the laser across the table towards the camera sitting on it. Really nice results.

I also noticed that you linked back to this on your site. I could not find a link to register so that I could log in and comment though.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Nice work. I'd love to try this myself but I can't find that particular function on my camera
= ( , sigh, I'll keep looking, in the mean time though, very inventive way to show your creativity.

Unknown said...

Not all cameras will have the night function. Look for any that allow use of your camera in low light. That should work as well. It will allow the shutter to stay open longer allowing more light in.

But some digital cameras have an auto mode and a program/manual mode.